For the first time since 2019, Bulldog Stadium returned to full capacity in the season opener versus UConn (Tyler Van Dyke/The Collegian)

Game day atmosphere returns as football fans reunite at Bulldog Stadium

Two Fresno State alumni reignite their love for football and return to the tailgating experience they’ve shared at Bulldog Stadium since being roommates in 1983.

Waiting for the opener against the UConn Huskies, Keith Storton and Jay Anderson sipped cold beverages under 100-degree weather while reflecting on their 35-year relationship with Fresno State football.

“It’s all about the experience,” Storton said. “It’s all about connecting with new people, eating great food and socializing with the people that you really love and enjoy football with.”

On Saturday at 11 a.m., Fresno State football played against UConn in a game opener Bulldogs fans have been anticipating since 2019. In July, Fresno State Athletics announced full capacity for fans attending any outdoor sporting events, including men’s football.

The Red Wave surrounded the stadium with the smell of barbecue grilling and the booming chants of the Bulldogs’ fight song. The energetic aura was infectious as friends and family caught up, laughed and shared food and drinks before the game.

“I love the idea of getting back to day games,” Anderson said. “We haven’t seen day games in the last few years. It’s been perfect. It’s so nice to be able to socialize again. Meet some new people.”

The season opener showed the wide variety of fans that make up the Red Wave. Fans like Storton and Anderson plan the entire day in order to come early in the morning to watch.

“We come from a distance,” Anderson said. “ Keith comes from the San Luis Obispo area. I’m from the Sacramento area. We got family and friends here in Fresno… so we put some effort into doing this.”

Anderson’s wife, Robin, head to toe with Bulldog apparel, talked about their love for Fresno and the Central Valley back when Derek and David Carr played, former Bulldog quarterbacks.

Many noticeable figures were also present at Saturday’s game.

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval and Fresno Mayor Jerry Dyer made appearances in the Bulldog Stadium. Houston Rockets No. 2 pick Jalen Green also made an appearance in the stadium and was shown on the Bulldog’s Jumbotron.

Houston Rockets No. 2 overall pick and Fresno native Jalen Green makes appearance at Bulldog Stadium. (Tyler Van Dyke/The Collegian)

Curtis Stubblefield was a former member of the 1988 Fresno State football team that won the Big West title before going on to win the California Raisin Bowl.

Stubblefield talked about the difficulties he dealt with when games were closed to the public.

“It was very depressing and sad. You especially felt for the players,” Stubblefield said. “They deserve to be seen and applauded for their efforts… Even their families couldn’t go to the games, most cases. That was the worst part for me.”

Stubblefield comes from a generation of former players. Both his grandfather and father played for Fresno, and he became the first in his family to play in Bulldog Stadium when it was built.

“Born and raised in Fresno, I’ve been a fan since I was 6 to 7 years old when they played at Ratcliffe stadium,” Stubblefield said. “When something is taken away from you that you love or you cherish, it’s even more important to you”

Students currently enrolled have also shared this gratitude and anticipation they felt when they couldn’t go to a game since 2019.

Fresno State students Eztevan Lopez and Arik Bains grew up watching Bulldog football. Lopez’s dad was an alumnus, and Bains’ family have been tailgating at the stadium since 7 a.m.

“As a student being a year and a half online, we’re all looking forward to this day,” Bains said. “You can’t sleep Friday night because you’re getting ready for this game. You’re getting ready to see people you haven’t seen in a while.”

The Bulldogs won in a blowout against UConn, finishing 45-0. All the people who contributed to the game day atmosphere were finally reunited from the cheerleaders to the marching band to the fans.

There’s one reason thousands of people will get up early in the morning in bad air quality and blazing heat: the community.

“How do you legitimately explain drinking beer at 9 a.m. if it wasn’t for tailgating,” Anderson said. “This is the reason we do it. This is the reason we have the tickets.”