Inconsistent attendance rates still loom for Fresno State athletic events

For Fresno State, attracting fans to basketball games continues to be a struggle, and alumnus Brian Yengoyan is conducting a survey as part of a project for his graduate studies at Georgetown to figure out why. (Paul Schlesinger/The Collegian)

Despite having one of the top basketball venues in the conference, Fresno State still can’t manage to fill the Save Mart Center.

While searching for a topic for his research project, this caught the attention of Fresno native and Georgetown University graduate student Brian Yengoyan.

Yengoyan, a Fresno State alumnus, launched a survey last weekend to gather information and take a step in figuring out why the university’s athletic department can’t make the most of it’s large venue for Bulldog basketball games.

“According to the survey responses I’ve received, they [the fans] want something different, a different experience regardless if the team wins or loses,” Yengoyan said. “I went to games this season, and that student section is still not full. I think it’s about creating an environment, which takes time and a concerted effort. It’s more about organization and communication than anything else.”

Yengoyan graduated from Fresno State in 2004 with a bachelor’s degree in finance. During his time at the university, he was closely involved with the basketball team during legendary head coach Jerry Tarkanian’s final season, as he served as team manager and assistant academic adviser.

“I was around when Tarkanian was there, and I saw the loyalty and what it meant to the fan base and how important that was to the community of Fresno as a whole,” Yengoyan said. “It was a big deal, and it still is a big deal. People need Fresno State Athletics to give them that form of entertainment. It’s a great form of entertainment that should be cherished, and the people in charge should understand how powerful it is or can be amongst the community.”

The Fresno State grad brought up the impact that this issue can have in terms of recruiting. He said that having a top arena can work in your favor, but it can work against you if you can’t get people in the seats.

“If you can’t fill it, it can work against you,” he said. “It works as a disadvantage because it feels empty, and because of that, it feels like no one cares.”

Yengoyan says that a team’s win-loss record correlates to attendance. There are two parts to a successful team: the athletic department and the coaching staff. The athletic department responsibility lies in operating the game, venue and ticketing. The team’s performance lies in the hand of the coaching staff and program.
“[Those parts] are two separate things, and I think they should be viewed separately,” Yengoyan said. “You could have a good experience and a poor-performing team, and fans will still get something out of it. The same goes for having a great team and a bad fan experience. The fans will still feel that there’s something missing, so you need both.”

His survey asks questions in this format: based on a scale of 1-5, how important is this aspect to you? With 1 being strongly disagree or extremely not important to 5 being strongly agree or extremely important. While seeking feedback, he asks people to grade the entertainment, promotions, Bulldog band and the dance and cheer teams.

It also gives fans an opportunity to rate the Save Mart Center’s customer service, ticket buying and quality of food and beverage. Toward the end, there is a section to provide general comments about in-game entertainment.

“The survey is about getting real results,” he said. “It’s about asking students, alumni and the general public what they think and no matter what they say, let’s embrace that to figure out what we can do. The importance is to hear it from them, and if no actions are taken, then that’s a shame on the people in charge.

“We have to know what the people want. Do they want more from the cheer and dance teams? Do they want more in-game promotions? Do they want more video boards? Do they want better food? Do they want better beer? From all the things I’ve heard, they’re all manageable things that don’t involve a lot of capital to be spent to provide that. To me, you have to ask questions and then be open to that response.”

Yengoyan’s survey can be found at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SC3F6GC

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

imilinagaJun 22, 2015 at 1:09 am

nice share this is great sharing for me , i like it
    fashion wanita darwismarket pakaianfashionpria morofashion fashion pria fashion pria nagaseo

• I

Isaac CamposApr 15, 2015 at 6:47 pm

This was an interesting piece on a subject that has crossed my mind a number of times. What it boils down to is win and losses. The men’s basketball team has not enjoyed much success recently. Though, they did produce current NBA star Paul George the overall team has not performed well. (And wow Fresno State produced Paul George. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.) Another factor is, ironically, the size of the stadium. Sometimes the smaller, closer, environments breed a lively crowd. (See: Cameron Crazies) I’m not prone to sitting close to a stranger when there are plenty of open seats, because I am just awkward like that. And I’m willing to bet that most people feel the same way.

Denise WilliamsApr 13, 2015 at 3:15 pm

In my opinion there seems to be a trend that a higher percentage of student athletes live off campus compared to the rest of the student population. I believe there is a huge gap between student and student-athletes. This is a disadvantage to the relationship students had with student-athletes in the past. Even on campuses such as Oregon, the services for student-athletes, John E. Jaqua Academic Center for Student Athletes, is on campus. The meet and greets after the game are greatly missed. As well as an occasional “high five” once in a while in the campus cafeteria or at the CU. All a part of the student’s “buy in” for their beloved Bulldogs. ‘Dogs need to connect socially and build comradery .
    In regards to wins vs losses,the Sacramento Kings did not do well this year, but they also increased fan attendance at Sleep Train Arena when the team failed to win. http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article2585793.html. Here entertainment is what counts, and not always the product on the court.
    Having said that, students need sports teams. Supporting teams and entertainment are pleasant activities. Pleasant activities are vital to our health and well-being. Winning cures lots. Passion and support….victory, success!

atgApr 13, 2015 at 11:28 am

Perhaps this shows the value of a college sports program? Are we arguing we should spend even more time on collegiate sports vs….hm, collegiate education?

Don BaxleyApr 10, 2015 at 11:40 am

Just as talented players migrate to top colleges, colleges fire non performing coaches, fans attend the games of winning teams! To say a true fan will support any program is just plain stupid. Will your boss pay you if you don’t perform?

Don BaxleyApr 10, 2015 at 11:40 am